Tuesday, June 14, 2011

debatable research paper

For this English/Writing Composition class I’m in we have a final paper (due 6/24) and the guidelines state that we are to take a position on an issue that can be debated. Last Friday we were to begin to think about topics we could research, but I’m a procrastinator and we have a rough draft of the paper due on 6/17 so today I decided on my topic. Physician Assisted Suicide. It is definitely an issue that can be debated.

A down side, I guess, is that it is limited to 2 pages - not including the references page. Normally I dread having page/word limits but I think this is one time I wish I didn’t. I have to stick to the 2 pages because I don’t want points taken off. The last paper I did I went half way on to a 3rd page and got 2 points taken off.

Then there’s the number of sources. At least 5. I don’t know how the paper is going to be kept at 2 pages with 5 sources, but I’m going to try. So far I have 10 websites and 10 books. Obviously I’m not going to use them all, but it’s a good starting point. In a bit I’m going to the library to look at the books I selected and see if they’re something I can use or if I need to pick other books. My plan for this assignment is to use 3 books and 2 websites. That will give me my “at least 5 sources”.

No comments: