Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I was a good neighbor

my neighbor doesn't have a computer (or at least one that works) and asked if I could help her daughter practice typing. she was just transfered to a typing class. school's been in session since the beginning of September so I was surprised they transfered before the start of new semester in January. I have nothing else to do during the week so I agreed.

For about an hour and a half I taught the girl some basics, what I assumed she would have learned had she been in the typing class since the beginning of the school year. She picked up things rather quickly.

So I let her go to type and then my laptop over heated before I could get her to save so we took a 20 min break while it cooled down and I got the document back. Luckily all of it wasn't lost and she was able to pick up where she left off. I told her to save after she typed each sentence so if something happened, she wouldn't have to start over from the beginning.

Her total typing time, had we not stopped, was 30 mins. That's VERY good for a beginner typer! I told her to save the paper again and showed her how to print. She accidentally printed 2 copies but I told her that was ok. She'd have a copy for herself and one to turn in and if the teacher lost his copy, she had the other copy.

when she left, I told her that if she ever needed to type something to come over and let me know and I'd set her up so she could do her work. Another neighbor mentioned to me that she was getting a new computer at Christmas and would be giving this family her old computer. she said it was too slow for her, but it would be something this girl could use the practice with.

That was my good deed for the day. I felt good being able to help this girl.

In other news...any time the topic came up of people moving, I always mentioned that I had all my dishes & silverware save for drinking cups. How was this possible? I claimed complete dishware sets that my mom had but never used. This included Coventry fine China service for 8! It'd been sitting in the side China cabinet for years and hadn't been cleaned in I don't know how long. Well, a few months ago I got my own storage unit and I've been slowly filling it with this from my room and my things out of the garage. I also said that I'd wash & pack the China that I claimed but never actually got around to doing it...until today. I took everything down, washed & dried them and now I'm packing & labeling the boxes so they can be taken to my storage. when my mom gets the chance, she's going to go through the silverware that's in the kitchen to make sure there's a full set and I'll wash & pack those away in storage as well.

now all I need is my own place to put all this stuff in and maybe I'll feel like a grown up lol

No comments: