Sunday, July 10, 2011

freak of the day

For a minute, my netbook became a paperweight. Nothing I plugged into any of the 3 USB ports would read. It acknowledged my external hard drive but no drives were popping up. FREAK OUT! Unplugged everything, shutdown, wait a minute, reboot, plug back it and we're back in business!

I don't know why the USB ports randomly decided not to work. I need to invest in an everyday use netbook and leave this one for the school work (like I'm sure the school who sent me to me intended, but I paid for it, so I can use it however I want, right?!).

I’ll just add this to the growing list of problems I’m encountering now (at the 18 month mark of having it). Maybe a month ago, or so, it started randomly shutting down. Not the good shutdown way either. like mid-type in and email and it would turn off! Thought I’d press the power button on accident, but when it did it while I was streaming something online, I knew that wasn’t the case. I think it was overheating (note to self: see about getting a fan to place under this when I use it for a long time). Another thing I noticed was a blinking red/orange light. I’d recognized this before, when I was working off the battery. It meant my battery was low and to plug it in. But wait, it IS plugged in! What the heck is going on?! I checked the battery and it was at 88%. Umm why? I’m plugged in. it should be at 100%. I mention it to my dad and he suggested I work on the battery until it drains completely, then plug it in to let it fully charge. I did that and no further problems with the battery...however, the red/orange light flashes and I notice that the netbook was pretty hot. So I saved everything and shut it down for a few hours to cool off. Again, need that fan.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday!

No comments: