Wednesday, September 29, 2010

OMG

That’s all I can say right now. OMG!

August 20 I got an e-mail about a position opening at my local library. It’s a temporary/part time library aide position. I didn’t know which position they were hiring for, library aide in the computer lab, library aide shelving books, library aide dealing with circulation or library aide general monitor, but I felt I was qualified for any of those positions so I applied.

I put it out of my mind until September 13 or 14 when I got a call to clarify something on my application. They told me the position they were hiring for was Monday-Thursday 2-730 pm and I put that I was available to work 1-5 pm. They asked if I was available for the times they needed, I said yes and was told that they would be contacting me again if they wanted to interview me.

That same week, I think it was the 16 or 17, I got a call asking if I could come in for an interview. Well, yes! I was told the next available interview time was Friday of the following week at 225 pm. That was fine with me.

Friday September 24 rolls around. My mom is gone to a memorial service and I’m wasting time on the computer instead of getting ready for my interview. Plus, it was balls hot outside! Luckily my mom called and said that she could give me a ride. Cool. I finish getting dressed, chill and collect my nerves and we leave at like 205 pm. She drops me off at 210 pm and I feel it’s too early, so I sit a bit, then tell the front desk I was there for the interview. I was given some other papers to fill out and I wasn’t even a third of the way through when I was called for the interview.

I was interviewed by 2 people. The lady I remember from my trips to the library, but the man, I don’t too much remember. I got a positive vibe from the lady, but the man was harder to read. He kind of made me uncomfortable with his lack of facial expressions. The entire interview maybe lasted 10 to 15 minutes and during that time they took turns asking me questions. For the most part they were scenario questions (what would you do if...) and that was easy enough to answer. I was also told the position they initially were hiring for was the monitor position, its like the security, but not really. Between the time they called me for the interview and the interview day, another position opened. That position, Circulation Aide, is Sunday-Saturday because during the school year they are open more for the students and it would be 1-5 pm (if I remember correctly). They said if I was interested, I could take the test for it and they would let me know. Sure. I took the test, which consisted of putting 2 lists in alphabetical and numerical order. I think it took me 20 minutes - I had to stop and buy a pencil with an eraser because I made some mistakes that I wanted to correct. I checked over it and turned it in.

I left the library thinking that I had time to catch the bus home but before I got to the corner, I saw it passing. Back to the library I went, searched for a book, got frustrated that my library card wasn’t working, found a book I wanted, read, checked it out (read 2 chapters and haven’t picked it up since lol) and left the library.

Then I put the entire thing out of my head...until today when I got a call from the library. My heart was pounding. I thought they were going to say sorry we went with someone else, but instead they asked for my references! I gave them 2 references I always used and then sent an e-mail to them to give them a heads up. Not even 10 minutes later I get an email back from one of the references. She said the guy she spoke with seemed pleased when he heard whatever she said about me. Then a couple minutes later, got an email from the second reference. She also spoke highly of me and said that I was one of the top they were looking at. Oh yay!

Now its sit and wait to hear back from the library. I really hope I get it - even if that means having to totally better juggle Sunday when it comes to our monthly Fellowship Night events and holiday church dinners (dinners start at 5 pm and oops, one of the positions gets out at 5 pm...) and on top of that, Tuesday, November 2nd I’m already committed to working the election.

No comments: