Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Aftermath

Yesterday I worked the California State Primary Election as an Inspector. It was ok. 4 precincts in 1 location sucks. in my precinct there was supposed to be 5 workers but we made it work with 3 - oddly enough, the 4th person who was supposed to work came into vote! I didn't want to say anything for fear that it would be creepy that I "knew" who she was. 5th worker's husband called me at 625 that morning (I left hoe at 530 to be at the polling place for 6 am set up) to say she was sick and wouldn't be in. I called her Saturday, Sunday and Monday with no word from her! would have been nice to know Monday so I could have possibly had that 4th person! We really needed it.

The day went smoothly enough. There were 962 registered active voters in my precinct. Only 106 voted + 1 provisionally because she wasn't in the roster of voters yet her address was. Where the heck were the other 855 people?! I'm guessing since this was a Primary election, not many people turned out. I'm sure come the general election in November, I'm sure there'll be more voters...I hope as we'll be voting for a new Governor, Senators and various other officials. I did my part and voted too. Took all of 5 minutes too!

Come July, I should have a nice paycheck from working this election. I think close to $300. I never knew what the base pay for election workers was, but Inspectors get $50 for going to training, $50 for picking up & dropping off supplies and this time around they added another $50 for picking up additional ballots. Right there's is $150 in "bonuses"! Good deal! I'm hoping I'll be able to work the election in November!

Got a rather annoying "reminder" e-mail from my student advisor. Apparently if you log into the discussion board everyday but don't participate in the discussion, you get and e-mail sent to you. Maybe if I had something worth participating IN I'd participate! Because seriously, these people who give responses annoy the crap out of me when I can't understand a thing they've typed! Words are misspelled, sentence structure is all messed up...how the instructor understands to reply is beyond me. Oh and I was only TWO days behind! WTF! So I slapped together some responses, posted them and did today's response and left the board. I didn't want a headache trying to understand what those people were trying to say. This class is over on Wednesday...the entire course is done in like 17 months? I have to recheck that tho. Soon I'll be done and won't have to worry about anyone in the course anymore.

No comments: