Friday, October 22, 2010

I survived that

Monday: Not scheduled to work.
Tuesday: worked 4 hours. well didn’t actually work. spent most of my time being introduced to other library people and told what happens in each section of the library. ended up leaving at 530pm instead of 5pm
Wednesday: worked 4 hours. more of the same, but the last 30 minutes of my shift I actually got to work. As I was gathering my things to leave, was asked if I could stay an extra hour and a half on Thursday to help monitor the kids section as there was going to be a first grade family reading event. Sure. my mom wouldn’t be at work and could pick me up. (I didn’t say all of that though)
Thursday: worked 5.5 hours. I put myself to work. Shows that I don’t have to always be told what to do. Was just finishing my rounds of the adult/young adult section when my supervisor found to tell me what to do. check all the bathrooms the patrons use - make sure there’s no graffiti or lots of paper on the floor. was shown how to check men’s bathroom (either ask one of the guys to do it or go with my monitor partner, have her stand outside while I check inside or visa versa). Then given walkie talkie and asked to stand at the inside entrance to library with other female monitor to watch as high schoolers strolled in. stayed there for about 10 or 15 minutes then continued on rounds until 15 minute break. Took my break and more rounds. Around 630pm we had an incident and I was called to join other monitor at the children’s section. There were 30-40 first graders and their family for a reading night. when I got towards the window I saw flashing lights of a fire truck. No fire alarm went off but when I got closer I saw a man lay on the floor! my supervisor told me he had a seizure, they were looking for his young daughter and needed me to help keep the area clear for the paramedics. His daughter was found reading with some of her friends and after about 10 or 15 minutes, they had the man on the stretcher (he was VERY disoriented and didn't know he was at the library. took them a couple of times for him to tell what his name was too) and was wheeling him out of the library, and we were basically able to go back to what we were doing. Towards the end of my shift, my supervisor explained further what happened and the procedure that would be done in an emergency like that (as far as what forms have to be filled out and passed on to the proper library staff who need to know about it).

I also got my schedule for next week. I'll be working 18.5 hours. They told me I'm not supposed to work more than 18 hrs/week but they need the extra help as sections of the library are being shifted to make space for towers of some kind in the computer lab to allow for wireless internet. I really need to make sure I have the right shoes. comfortable for walking and not too tight.

Today I’ll be going to City Hall to pick up a bus pass for next week, then going to the church to work. On my way home I have to pick up some things for Sunday night’s church event as well as some lunchables or burritos...or something that doesn’t take long to prep and eat in 15 mins for my breaks. I probably won’t have enough money after that, but I need to get some shoes. preferably black or dark blue and obviously very comfortable.

Breakfast time now. I need to leave in an hour and I still have some thing to do here before I can leave.

No comments: